Thursday, October 18, 2012

What Shape Waits in the Seed of You?


"The poem is a little myth of man's capacity of making life meaningful. And in the end, the poem is not a thing we see, it is, rather, a light by which we may see -- and what we see is life." ~ Robert Penn Warren


"What to Remember When Waking"

In that first hardly noticed moment in which you wake,
coming back to this life from the other
more secret, moveable and frighteningly honest world
where everything began,
there is a small opening into the new day
which closes the moment you begin your plans.

What you can plan is too small for you to live.
What you can live wholeheartedly will make plans enough
for the vitality hidden in your sleep.

To be human is to become visible
while carrying what is hidden as a gift to others.
To remember the other world in this world
is to live in your true inheritance.

You are not a troubled guest on this earth,
you are not an accident amidst other accidents,
you were invited from another and greater night
than the one from which you have just emerged.

Now, looking through the slanting light of the morning window
toward the mountain presence of everything that can be
what urgency calls you to your one love?
What shape waits in the seed of you
to grow and spread its branches
against a future sky?

Is it waiting in the fertile sea?
In the trees beyond the house?
In the life you can imagine for yourself?
In the open and lovely white page on the writing desk?

~ David Whyte



Today is George, at Transit Notes, 70th birthday and he has written the most beautiful post in which he talks about what this means to him. I just have to share it with you: transit-notes.blogspot.com

Happy Birthday, George!



Painting: "Dandelions,"  by Katherine Bowling

20 comments:

  1. Indeed.A Mirror Is The Last Place To Look For Our Reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I find that first waking moment to be the most honest of the day. I can see true answers most clear then.
    Happy birthday to George! I'm going to read his post now : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, "the most honest of the day." I like that. It seems there's this between place where the truth comes shining through.

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful words weighed down with so much meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning to let go of the weight of words and let them be light. In more ways than one. :)

      I'm glad you're back.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely lovely poem by David Whyte. Thanks for sharing -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...there is a small opening into the new day
    which closes the moment you begin your plans..." What a powerful poem! I learned that to be really "productive" we needed to start each day with a plan. Of course business would want us to think that way. But "What you can plan is too small for you to live." Now that is wisdom. Thanks for this post, and for sending me to read George's post about turning 70, which I will do in March. Or I hope to, in any case. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that my puny plans are of no consequence next to what the Universe is planning. If I get my self out of the way, and only respond when called by the universe to do so, life takes on a different slant of light, to paraphrase the poet.

      I have no doubt you will arrive at 70 and then move forward into many new adventures in life, both inward and outward.

      Delete
  6. First, Teresa, you are very kind and generous to provide a link to my posting on "The Surreality of Seventy." Several of your readers have already dropped by to comment.

    I am moved by much that I find in your own post today. As one who could not exist without poetry, I find Robert Penn Warren's observation to be right on point. A poem is indeed a light which permits us to see and understand the world in which we live and have our being. I am also moved David Whyte's poem, especially the profound question: "What shape waits in the seed of you to grow and spread its branches against a future sky?" On my seventieth birthday, there is no better question to ask myself. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, poetry is essential. I thought that particular line worthy of opening ourselves to, especially in light of your birthday. I hope your day is unfolding beautifully!

      Delete
  7. I've been by a few times to read this, Teresa, trying to weigh my words,when really all I can say is thank you. A beautiful post in every possible. way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Teresa, thank you. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every day is a creation - this is what I'm starting to recognize.

    Thanks so much for sharing this, it was much needed nourishment for my soul this week =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly so, t. You're one fine person and I hope you have a good weekend. :)

      Delete
  10. What shape waits in the seed of you...?? Now that is a question! Happy Birthday to your friend, George. I shall have to go visit him. :)

    ReplyDelete