Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Friendship is the Key to Life


Last evening, as I stepped outside to replenish the seed on the bird feeder, I startled and was startled by a yearling foraging under the crab apple trees. I saw it last night but wasn't aware it had returned. It ran a short way off as I tried to talk soothingly, reassuring it that all was well and I intended no harm. It stopped and watched as I turned the pail over and smoothed out the seeds across the feeder. As I was doing that, I heard the honking of geese and looked up to see them flying right overhead. The setting sun was lighting up their feathers underneath as they passed. I stood still, just feeling the world around me. The deer and the geese, together with the red, gold and green trees of autumn, all set against a deep blue sky, made it a perfect moment.




And now, this morning, my thoughts have turned to friendships, both old and new; those that have been around for a good long while, firm in their commitment, and those that seem to have disappeared, remaining only in kind but distant thoughts; those that have languished but are feeling a sense of revival even now in these days of autumn, and those that are burgeoning every day with a greater sense of purpose unfolding. I'm grateful for them all.


Someday many years from now
We'll sit beside the candles glow
Exchanging tales about our past
And laughing as the memories flow.
And when that distant day arrives
I know it will be understood
That friendship is the key to life
And we were friends and it was good.

~ Eileen Hehl






It appears I will never tire of photographing those trees beside the cabin. I have come to think of them, too, as good friends: they are solid and true yet always changing and evolving. They are entering a new phase even as I write this.




The photographs are mine.


20 comments:

  1. Oh wow. How perfectly you've captured that moment, and what an exquisite moment it was. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ashling. Indeed, it was. Quite magical, really.

      Delete
  2. luv you pics... fall is for sure my fav

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful thoughts, beautiful pictures. Friendship is indeed the key to life. Thank you, friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm so glad we're friends, DJan. You make this an even better place to be.

      Delete
  4. Your photos are wonderful.
    The thoughts about friendship left me wondering where my old friends are now. We've lost touch. I don't even know if they are still alive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a comforting post - lately I've been feeling sad about one or two friendships that have fallen away. I suppose it is as natural as every other form of passing in this life, and it's best to just let go and treasure the memories. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Li, Every time I think about you for a while during the day, wondering where you've been, what you're up to, you show up, and I'm so glad when you do. Yes, some friendships are best left behind with fond memories. That used to make me sad, but it doesn't anymore. It's just the way it is.

      Delete
  6. Your land is beautiful Teresa.
    Friends are really what it's all about and I find myself now, trying to rejuvenate old friendships and find new friends since most of those I was close to in the past have passed on to happier hunting grounds. It is not as easy a task as it once was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very blessed to be steward of this land. I hesitate to claim ownership as it seems to belong to Mother nature herself. some friendship are worth rejuvenating, others its better to let go, and some of my best friends have, also, moved on down the river. No, it isn't as easy now, but the right ones will show up if we stay open to them. That's been my experience.

      Delete
  7. The fall colors give us time to appreciate the world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish it were that easy. It used to be at least I thought so.


    One thing for sure - being able to click on your pictures brings your home and environment to life in a vivid way. I think that feature works so well on Blogger and is so quick. If it weren't for that they would just be a picture with much less affect because the huge way it's like you can literally enter them at times.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, One Fly. The key is finding the right friends. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Teresa,

    Friendships used to mean more to me than they do now. Communicating with friends is still important, but the need for having face-to-face time has diminished. When good friends get together, even after a long absence, it often feels like no time has passed at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you're saying, Ray. some of my best friends nbow are my online friends to whom I feel very close. However, I still like noses, chins, and especially eyes. Voices are good, too. :)

      Delete
  10. Dear Teresa, these words feel as if they are written on your heart: "The deer and the geese, together with the red, gold and green trees of autumn, all set against a deep blue sky, made it a perfect moment." Thank you for sharing them and for the photographs and your musings about friendship.

    I see from the photographs that the trees are already clothing themselves with autumn in Minnesota. I so hope that one day I'll be living there again and we can meet and perhaps, just perhaps, you'll invite me to your home and I'll see those trees. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dee, I would be honored to share an afternoon at Lonewolf with you. the trees send their blessing.

      Delete