Friday, January 4, 2013

When You Turn it Toward the Light



As I sit here this evening, in the quiet of my kitchen, a book of Mary Oliver's poetry in hand, I realize it's entirely possible to actually fall in love with a book. In this case, a slim volume of poetry, titled, A Thousand Mornings. May I tell you about the cover?  Besides the simple beauty in the juxtaposition of font used for her name, the title, and that one little divine word - poems - hanging just above the treetops in the darkly atmospheric photo gracing the cover, there's also this beautiful haze above the pond, as the rising sun comes shimmering through the trees. And the paper. The paper has the feeling of suede, yes, a sueded paper cover. It feels so good in my hands, soft and sensual. I've managed to leave a few fingerprints, visible when turned toward the light, but that's to be expected. A book should be lived in and know when it's deeply loved.

It's hard to decide which poem I should bring out in celebration of this perfect night, when the right book came to stay, filled with a thousand mornings of companionship, but this seems as good as any:

"Poem of the One World"

This morning
the beautiful white heron
was floating along above the water

and then into the sky of this
the one world
we all belong to

where everything
sooner or later
is a part of everything else

which thought made me feel
for a little while
quite beautiful myself.

~ Mary Oliver




Illustration by N.C.Wyeth

24 comments:

  1. I can always grab a book of hers and just open it and start reading. She offers such a unique outlook on life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She never fails to lift me up and replenish my spirit.

      Delete
  2. Hi Teresa,

    I don't think that I've ever felt that way about a book. For me, it's a dogeared page of a beloved poem, or a highlighted passage in a book that I return to again and again. Bits and pieces capture my affection. I suspect that it's a similar feeling of appreciation just the same.

    Lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have longstanding love affairs with certain books, they have nurtured and sustained me in a multitude of ways. I simply cannot offer that same devotion to Kindle. :)

      Delete
  3. Just lovely... I shall look into getting my very own copy of this special book!
    Blessings for a great New Year!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blessings to you, Ann. It's lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  4. Nelle tue parole si coglie tutto il tuo entusiasmo....sai che ho pubblicato la mia prima raccolta di poesie e foto? L'ho intitolata TRENTATRE' NOTE DI POESIA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simo! I did not know that! Congratulations! How very wonderful! I shall be over to visit very soon. Yes, enthusiasm for life always wins the day! :)


      Note to readers: Simo has had a book of poetry and photos published!

      Delete
  5. Mary Oliver is a genius. I am not familiar with that book but will now check it out at the bookstore. Thank you for the lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is her latest, published in early October. Happy weekend, dear friend.

      Delete
  6. That poem put a big smile on my face, which hasn't yet faded. I saw a Mary Oliver book at Barnes & Noble just before Christmas; it was probably that one. I didn't take time to look through it, but now I will buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this poem brought a smile, Nancy. This book is a perfect example of good things come in small packages....

      Delete
  7. That is a coincidence. I saw a heron last week on the Allander Water near where I live. A rare sight in Scotland and especially so around here. A strange tranquillity about the bird. Watching the water without a feather stirring. I watched it for 10 minutes and it didn't move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tony, I love these synchronistic events; that a sighting is rare makes it even more special. They do have a quality we could all learn from, and practice. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  8. You should feel quite beautiful. I believe all who come here agree that you are ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Why, thank you, Mr. Stump,' she said, blushing....

      Delete
  9. I have this. I read your words, then had to get up and bring A Thousand Mornings over to my desk and hold it in my hand as I read them again, Teresa. The cover does feel like suede. What an evocatively sensual thought - to feel a book's cover. I do it all the time, but, never thought of putting the action into words. You picked the perfect poem. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Penny, I'm so glad you felt what I did. It's such a beautiful little volume. I just love how certain books feel in my hands. The experience of reading still thrills me. Thank you.

      Delete
  10. A lovely poem by Mary Oliver, and I can relate to what you are saying about falling in love with a single book that seems to embody elegance, beauty, and character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a perfect description of why I love this book: elegance, beauty, and character. Thank you, George.

      Delete
  11. I can't think of poetry much more beautifully written than this. The grace of her words completely captures the intent of nature (as I see it). Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is indeed a beautiful statement in verse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To say Mary has a way with words would be a vast understatement.

      Delete