Friday, January 18, 2013

Cherokee Boogie and the Calendar Girls



There's something about local garages, the ones that do small repairs and oil changes, that have always appealed to me. I love the masculine ambience and camaraderie that seems to exist there. I even love the smell of grease. While I was living in Santa Fe, I found a small pop and son operation just down the road from where I was living at the time, Mino's and Greg's Auto Repair. They did all my car's oil changes, repairs as needed and even towed it once for free cause I gave all my business to them. Life was good in their kind hands. I never knew for sure which one to flirt with because I was smack dab between them in age and they both had their charms. Were I forced to choose, which I wasn't, I probably would have had to go with Dad. Man, he was nice looking.

Anyway, I tend to get off track sometimes, where was I?  Oh, yes, garages I have known and loved. While I was doing some online research of the musical variety, I found this crazy cool video by Johnny Horton, "Cherokee Boogie." I always liked the song as a kid. His album found its way onto the turntable more than a few times. "Dancing on a Hardwood Floor," and "North to Alaska," were favorites and, of course, "The Battle of New Orleans," but this video sold me on the Boogie. It reminds me of all the old family repair shops that so often were decked out with pin-up calendars. They're vintage works of art now, and the variety in this video is just amazing. Yes, they appear a bit sexist, but taken in the context of the times, they are what they are. I think they're fun. And as far as the song goes, my great-grandmother was a full-blooded Cherokee, and I'm giving it a thumb's up. Enough said. I think it's a really cool video.







Addendum: turns out, my grandmother wasn't Cherokee, she was Lakota Sioux, but the sentiment is the same ...

18 comments:

  1. The Battle of New Orleans i got on a 45 in around 1962.Cant remember who sang it but the label,i remember ,was blue!
    Cars really annoy me! I know nothing about engines!I still think a garage is ripping me off whenever they do me a repair!hey~hoy!Have A nice weekend Evangeline (its snowing bad here in UK soooo....a quiet weekend meThinks!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's more than likely the one. Funny how we remember little details like the 45's color.

      I always id, too, until these guys. they were just straight shooters of the old-fashioned kind, and I never once felt ripped off for unnecessary repairs. Mainly because I almost never had any. It was oil changes and tires, which I went through more than I want to admit. :)

      That snow will keep you off the streets and /or out of the pubs. :) Stay cozy.

      Delete
  2. This post and music caused much nostalgia for me. I'd forgotten about the nice small garages. Remember Pure Oil company. Some sharp looking mechanics I recall. Hey, so was my great grandmother full blooded Cherokee. Flooding then ice and snow caught me unaware, so I'm stuck inside for a time...where is my shovel, I'm sitting here wondering ;) Teresa, you mentioned Tennessee in a post...wish you'd write me and talk. My email is on my blog. I'll surely reciprocate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that carhop wearing inline skates? I had no idea they were retro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I offer you this, and all you're concerned about are the inline skates? You two have been in the desert too long... ;)

      Delete
    2. Haha! I was trying to keep it PG, without ah-OOOH-ga eyes.

      Delete
    3. ah-OOOH-ga? LOL! So much for diversionary tactics.

      Delete
  4. Yeah I know your garage, the smell and the old frumpled pin-up calendars on the wall. Guys in gray coveralls lying on a roller thingy under a car with their feet sticking out. Before the pit, maybe.

    Did you ever see "My cousin Vinney?" I recently surfed onto it and had to watch. That was the funniest movie I ever saw.

    Yeah, I like the boogie. That rhythm was what we as kids learned, then later turned into the swing. We called it the "stomp."
    Good memories for me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a funny movie. Might be worth a re-watch. Swing, stomp, boogie, it's all a ton of fun. I love the image I have of you dancing to this. :) Hope you're staying warm.

      Delete
  5. As a young man I worked in and was around environments such as this a lot to say the least.

    Different times - different attitudes. Calenders like this were everywhere. Now it's hard to even get a calender.

    For good or bad young men learned more than plenty in places like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I don't have to say stay warm to you. That's a given. :) Hope you're having a good time, relaxing and fun. It's nice to hear from you.

      Yes, we all got received our education in matters of the opposite sex from the same source. Trial and error. Mostly error, for me. :)

      Delete
  6. A "cool" boogie, Teresa, and an interesting look back into Americana. Tom's uncles had a station in a small town in Iowa. I was only in it once before it closed down. I'm sure a calendar hung there as well.

    How nice it was to hear Poe's poetry this morning on your next post and for you to honor this great poet's birthday. That's a lovely portrait of his wife. Thanks, as always, Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's interesting how some garages can be a place to "hang out" in small town America. It's different than the gatherings at modern day coffee shops, another interesting venue. There was a small town garage near us about twenty years ago where all of the locals came to buy gas, have repairs done, or purchase a cup of coffee. The average stay there must have been at least 15 minutes. Americana at its best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved hanging out in them... Americana at its best, indeed.

      Delete
  8. As a 50 year fan of the female form, (I'm sure you are surprised at that admission) I'm going to give that video "TWO thumbs UP."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, "Steven." Yes, that's quite the "admission." ;) Ain't it cool? I'm glad you like.

      Delete