Wednesday, September 3, 2014

I Am Not A Rock, I Am Not An Island


On Labor Day I labored, and it felt really good. I sawed dead branches from several trees and from shrubs near the greenhouse; both the shrubs and the greenhouse needed more sunlight. There is great satisfaction for me in this work. I have grown to love piling brush, something I hated doing as a child. I like knowing I'm clearing away those things that need clearing both in my physical and spiritual life. Sometimes we just need to do it.

Half a century ago my father developed lakeshore around Ox Yoke Lake - the lake of my childhood - building cabins for summer and weekend residents. The family spent many days clearing brush and hauling it into piles. In the evening we would be rewarded with hot dogs roasted on sticks over the fire followed by s'mores. If you've never eaten a s'more, well, time's a wastin'. Here's how: graham crackers with a couple of squares from a Hershey chocolate bar and a marshmallow, also roasted on a stick. This is the preferred method. When times get tough other methods may be employed. You'll figure it out.

After clearing the brush I worked on a new compost pile out by the garden. As they say, next year in Jerusalem. I followed that with much baking of zucchini bread, some with dried cranberries added. Fortunately I froze most of it. I also decided to find new ways to use zucchini, so I shredded a bunch (that's Minnesotan for a lot) and have added it to BLT's and other sandwiches, as well as omelets. It's non-stop zucchini season as some of you might know. Years ago there was a wonderful writer for the Christian Science Monitor named John Gould. He did a weekly column for them about life in the northeast - Maine, if I remember correctly. In one column he wrote of zucchini season and how, out of necessity, everyone started locking their cars. If you didn't you might return from your errand with a back seat full of zucchini. This type of story has now become ubiquitous, and I more fully understand it.

Later in the evening Buddy and I were treated to a sky show. With thunder rumbling overhead and the sky lowering, the sunset went on as usual. It turned all shades of pink and violet. Across this beautiful expanse came some amazing horizontal lightning bolts. Buddy soon decided he'd had enough so I let him in the house and continued to stand on the porch at what I was sure was a safe distance. But, Buddy must have faced reality sooner than I, covered in fur and all. With the next one I could feel the small hair on my hands stand up. It was time to go inside and watch from the window.

I like summer but I love fall. The Farmer's Almanac has purportedly predicted another long, very cold winter for my neck of the woods. So, I'm going to relish every day of this slanted sunlight and prepare for what may come. I have short story collections by my favorite writers and more than a few books of poetry. I have a set of watercolors yet to have the package broken open on them. I have the cooking channel (I'm hooked on "Chopped"). I have music, I have Buddy, and I have all of you. I am not a rock. I am not an island. But, I'll post the song anyway because who doesn't like Simon and Garfunkel.



                  
                                         




Today's poem: http://teresaevangelinespoetry.blogspot.com/2014/09/autumn-arrives_3.html

The photograph is mine, taken in the fall of 2012.

26 comments:

  1. lucky there are four seasons as they change it is a good time to remember to catch up on chores before the next season is upon us. I have a feeling it will be another cold winter here too. I was just trying to remember a stuffed summer squash recipe, it must have been a large crookneck or zucchini I used because that's what I used to grow back then. I had so much I let some of them get too big and they needed to be stuffed to get rid of their toughness I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love the changing seasons. And I love being where I feel at home.Your new place sounds so lovely, Linda. I'm happy you and Gary have found a good spot to be.

      Your recipes always sound so delicious. My neighbor lets at least one of her zucchini grow to about the size of a baseball bat, which she uses for next year's seeds.

      Delete
  2. What a productive day! I wonder whether you woke up this morning with many body parts aching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a fabulous snapshot, Teresa. Says it all. I got "By the Iowa Sea" from the library today. From the blurbs on the back, it sounds like it's going to be quite a ride! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DJan. It was taken by my old cabin looking down my drive ...

      I veer from loving to read Joe to being almost mad at him ... he always makes me think, and his life can take us out of our comfy existence. Living with an autistic child has been quite a ride for them. Always superb writing.

      Delete
  4. Good thing you labored on Labor Day --I did not and was wakened next morning with "The PUMP, it has QUIT!" Norma, of course, never stops gardening and, yes, piling trimmings. I'm sure it gave her great satisfaction to wake me with Karmic retribution. Loved your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A genuine LOL ... That'll teach ya ... :)) Thank you for this great response.

      Delete
  5. Oh I agree with your sentiments about fall. Here in Oregon I can already feel that fall chill at night. Liked your storm story with Buddy. You certainly have been busy with clearing your spirits and land. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days are packed, as Calvin and Hobbes would say ... :)

      Delete
  6. I don't think there will ever be anyone like Simon and Garfunkel to bring back memories for me. Sure, there's the Stones, Beatles, Lou Reed... and they all stir the memory but nothing fires it up so much as Simon and Garfunkel for me.
    As for this labor thing, I'm at a loss. Perhaps if I had my own house I would be doing the same but apartment living in a city keeps me lazy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are Very memory inducing. So many wonderful songs. Simon, a master songwriter.

      Having a country place keeps me sane. More or less.

      Delete
  7. This is a beautiful post Teresa. It's a wonderful time of year and I'm glad you're enjoying the bounty of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bill. A thunderstorm just passed through ... a wonderful way to start the day.

      Delete
  8. Nice post, Teresa, all of which leaves me hungry for s'mores and a few slices of zucchini bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, George. Too bad there are so many states between us, or a campfire might be in order ...

      Delete
  9. This is the second post today that gifted me with Simon and Garfunkel! They were pure magic, weren't they? :)
    Fall is my favorite time of year by far. I'm feeling big shifts and clearing here, too--changes and downsizing and purging. Feels wonderful once the movement begins.
    I can believe this will be another early, long winter. There is already a scent in the wind of snow birthing in the far north.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rita, Girl I'm telling you you need to get back to "creative" writing and maybe even try your hand at micro-poetry. Your last sentence is sooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fall is a wonderful season! This year I plan to spend half of it trying to avoid thinking about winter, then the other half looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DEar Teresa, in listening to the song, I have to remember that Simon and Garfunkel were very young at the time. I bet now they wouldn't say that they don't need love!

    Your days seem replete with work and contentment. How lovely. Let's break open those watercolors together. Just today I signed up for a 2-session introduction to watercolor painting in October. I'm eager for the two Saturdays. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these excellent musicians/ songwriters were really young when they created most of this beautiful music. Amazing ...

      There is a great deal of contentment these days ... the mellow days of summer waning and autumn arriving ...

      Thank you for the watercolor encouragement ...

      Delete
  13. I do miss the change of seasons. So many people are talking about autumn already, and we're still deep in summer, with temperatures in the 90s and plenty of time for tropical storms before the fronts begin to arrive -- in October, if we're lucky.

    To be frank, summer can be a burden here. We do what we have to do, but we long for the more productive days of fall. Even though they're shorter, we get more done, and enjoy it a good bit more.

    It's strange. I never listen to Simon and Garfunkel at all, but Paul Simon? That's some wonderful music, especially his Graceland CD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a very early post about my favorite albums. Graceland is among them ... pure genius, I believe.

      Delete
  14. Back from the wilderness one of the first places I came to was your website and very satisfying it was. There is nothing like a hard day's labor in the outdoors to rejuvenate your soul. Loved, loved the pure and smooth transitions in you writing here. You somehow install poetry into prose with beauty and grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you go fishing in Canada again without me ? :)) Good to see you ...

      Thanks so much for the generous comments ... they are very much appreciated.

      Delete