Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Head Over Heels



Now I've gone and done it. Fallen in love. Hard. I knew it was just a matter of time. It's been awhile. He's a bit younger than me, but that's okay. It doesn't mean my love for Winslow has changed, or Jack Kerouac, or Wilfred Owen, or any of those fabulous gentlemen that have so long been a part of my life, but life must go on. That's what it does. Some love remains unrequited.

I haven't slept with him yet, cause I'm not that kinda girl. Maybe down the line, but for now he's been settling for sleeping near me. Like on the floor near my bed. As close as he can get without actually being In the bed. It was love at first sight.

His name is Buddy.


He's a golden retriever. Eight weeks old. He could well be the love of my life. I really thought someone else who shall remain nameless would always fill that bill, but time changes everything. He is sleeping in a shaft of sunlight at my feet as I write this. I think he loves me, too.

You know how something happens in your life and then you start seeing affirmations of its value in the world around you? This Sunday morning, the morning after I picked Buddy up and brought him home, I turned on the CBS Sunday Morning show and the entire show was on our love of animals. It included a segment on Dean Koontz, the mystery writer, who, after a lifetime of not really getting the whole dog = god thing, fell in love with a golden retriever that, in his own words, changed his life forever. He suddenly saw this dog, Trixie, as an angel. Truly. Trixie is gone now. She died of cancer and he has written a book about his experiences with her and the impact she had on his life. The book is titled, A Big Little Life.


He has since found another golden retriever to fill his life with the kind of happiness these wonderful beings bring, but it was Trixie that changed it. I kind of feel that way about Buddy, too.



I named him Buddy when I found myself thinking of him as such all the way down to St. Cloud, where I met him. And he is definitely my buddy. I met his mom and dad, too, and they are two really fine dogs. He comes from a good family. I kneeled down in front of Dad and explained to him that I would love Buddy all my life and take really good care of him. Duke, the dad, actually put up his paw for me to shake. It was awesome.

Casey, Mom, followed us to the car, almost trying to get in with us, so I stopped, kneeled down again and had a similar visit with her, telling her I would love and take care of him always. She settled down, sat back and smiled at me, while I put Buddy in the car. I'm so glad I got to meet them.

So, Buddy and I are just hanging out, getting to know each other, doing a little yard work, playing with squeaky toys and a washcloth he likes to drag around, prancing as he goes. He actually scratches at the door already when he needs to go out and do his toilette. In the vernacular of the peasantry that's pooping and peeing. Almost every time.


He likes those little carrots for snacks, organic, of course. He likes to help in the kitchen and keeps me company there. A prerequisite for me in any relationship. And he doesn't bark unless he's very happy and having a lot of fun and then just a bit. He doesn't whine unless I haven't noticed his signals about going outside. He's one cool dog.

It's good to be in love again.



29 comments:

  1. What a handsome young boy! I love my dog, she has been my cheerleader for over 5 years now and I truly owe her so very much for the love she always has for me and the love that she lets me shower on her. Buddy looks like a perfect friend. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such is love!What a nice pet. I used to go to a lot of dog shows and goldens won a lot for their smarts.Nice to see both parents, a good thing to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...he is a love. That sweet face. I've had 2 goldens and they're the best. Your life will be forever changed. My pets are my life now that the kids are grown. When the kids are home they actually think i talk to the dogs just as I did them when they were little...the love our dogs give is unconditional. I think this might be what they're here to teach us.
    Congratulations on your new addition...I hope to see many pictures, and hear all the stories about Buddy. Perfect name BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Corinna, He is such a good friend already. Truly my buddy. Thank you for your comments.

    Steve, Goldens do seem to have a great deal of intelligence, empathy, and are very intuitive. A great little pal, he is. Thanks for commenting.

    Karen, I agree: unconditional love and staying in the moment. Great lessons to learn from them. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, lucky lucky you.
    lucky lucky him.

    I love that you spoke to his parents, that they were reassured.

    Having been a renter for so long, my dream of a dog has been stored somewhere and I don't access it every day.

    I do, though, have a "borrowed" cat, whom I love dearly, though she has owners down the street.

    This post made me really happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY LORD HE IS SO PRECIOUS!!!!!!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh...he is too cute!!! You know I love them. He looks smart and for sure will be your Buddy. Sophie, my Cairn, is right by my side as I'm writing this. They are the bestest of friends. xoxox's for Buddy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet face, such a wonderful little guy. You are so fortunate, Teresa, and I am so happy for you! And Buddy...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neighbor, I didn't have any pets for several years when I lived in Santa Fe as a renter, so I understand. I love this little guy.

    Kristy, I know how much you'd love my Buddy, having your won sweet companions. He is divine. :)

    Lynn, I know how much your own sweet dogs mean to you. They make life better, don't they?

    DJan, Thank you so much! He's a sweetie-pie, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful to have a dog, a buddy, each one is special that's for sure. They give so much and ask for so little in return, selfless they are. Animals are the best thing nowadays, I am thankful for my three cats at least a hundred times day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way you reassured his parents before taking him away. It's funny, I've always been a cat person but lately I've begun to see why people might like certain dogs. And Buddy is definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a love and scratching at the door already. I'm impressed. Puppies, puppies, I still call Cody "Puppy." and she's 6 already. The time goes so fast. Congratulations to you both. I know it's a match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can see why you are in love, he will be a wonderful friend to you and I know that you will give him all the love, friendship and fun that he needs. A wonderful relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look at that wee little face! Adorable! Oh it is love for sure. How could anyone not look into that face and fall in love. Wonderful!
    Have fun Teresa!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. Buddy is a cutie and you are a beauty. I call that a match made in heaven Teresa ! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, It is that selflessness that I hope to learn from him. He has lit up my life so much already.

    Nancy, I'm so glad I had those talks with his parents. They both genuinely seemed to respond. A handshake from Dad! I was more of a cat person myself, but more and more I could see all the goodness that dogs demonstrate and teach.

    Manzi, I know how much you love your Cody. Dogs make life fuller, richer. I am sooo impressed by his scratching at the door. If I don't catch it right away, he whines just a little to tell me.

    Catherine, You have your dear cat, Banjo, so know the value of pets for certain. I love looking at his sweet face and telling him how much I love him.

    Paul, Thank You... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, my gosh! There you go. Won't be heard from again, I'm afraid! What a fine dog that Buddy is. He'll help you every step of the way or would like to. Never fear, he'll growl at the critters and look at the deer. I've been so curious about your companions, but have not asked. He's really handsome and I think you should let him in bed with you. He will be faithful, I just know it.

    (Jack of Sage to Meadow)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jack, This is so sweet. Thank You. I always had outdoor dogs and cats growing up and at my farmhouse in Ansel many years ago, but as a renter in SF I felt it best to let it go. Now that I have my own place it's changed things.
    I love to travel so was concerned about having to make a choice, but Buddy tilted the scales big time. I'll figure out the travel later. Instead of, "Travels with Charley," it will be, "Travels with Buddy." He will be sleeping with me, that's certain....I need to wait 'til I'm sure he won't fall out of bed. : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. He's the cutest. We are pup sitting my daughter's Yorkie, who lives in the city. He loves it here out in the country. Yesterday we chased up a pheasant and a rabbit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Paul, I bet he does love it out there. How fun to see the wildlife in addition to time with your "grand-pooch." Have fun! And thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. He looks gorgeous and I am sure your love will continue to grow. The love of an animal is a strange thing indeed, impossible to describe are explain in the cold light of analytical reality, but as real, as warm, and as wonderful as first love.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alan, Thank you. It's a pretty special time...

    And Tony, Thank you for saying hello!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is one swell looking pup, and with the perfect name too. He will make a wonderful companion and will become a real pal. Dogs are wonderful, congratulations on finding a new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Bill, Thanks. He's changed my life in many ways already, all very good.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh, I'm in love as well...what a complete cutie! He is just adorable and he has such a wonderful home. Hurricane is actuallyh a daddy and the female he was bred with lives in our neighborhood so we got to see the six puppies grow to eight weeks. One of my students' family adopted one of the puppies so we get to see 'Savannah' a lot. It is so much fun; there is a story in mhy book about Hurricane becoming a Daddy :)
    anyway, congrats on your adoption...keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Tracy, Thank you. It must be fun to see their progeny. Happy Sales to You with your new book!

    ReplyDelete
  27. i'm in LOve with buddy, too. these beings are the sunshine. you know, i have one, too, teresa {mr. porter}. you are now one of the lucky ones!
    michelle,
    thewanderer

    ReplyDelete
  28. Michelle, Aren't they amazing beings? I love him so much and he is so Aware. I feel very blessed by his presence in my life. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete