Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Albums I Will Never Stop Listening To



We music lovers have our favorites, the ones that grabbed us from the get-go and have held on tight ever since. I have several that I keep in my car for road trips. Some of these have been with me for a mighty long time. I love being introduced to music I've never heard before by friends who have discovered something and know it's worth sharing. I'm sharing, in no particular order, part of my list here. FWIW.


Annie Lennox -"Medusa" is a group of songs written by the likes of Neil Young and Bob Marley, among others. It includes an almost perfect version of "A Whiter Shade of Pale."

Lucinda Williams - "Sweet Old World" - I know she's moved on, but I haven't.

Leonard Cohen - "Ten New Songs" isn't so new anymore, but I still can't hear a clunker among them. "In My Secret Life" is spellbinding, pure poetry. As a matter of fact, he has a book of poetry which contains the lyrics to many of these songs.

Bob Dylan - "Blonde On Blonde" - what can I say. Love that leopard-skin pillbox hat.

Paul Simon - "Graceland" - "The Mississippi delta was shining like a National guitar..." is about as good as it gets.

The Beatles - "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" will always hold a place in my life. My sister Jane and I, one teen-age summer, learned all the lyrics, singing along as we danced around the living room. We particularly liked the histrionics involved in "She's Leaving Home." My favorite Beatles song though is not on that album. "Eleanor Rigby," from, "Revolver," fills that spot.

Bruce Cockburn - pretty much anything - but I'm saving him. He gets his own posting. And that's for next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment