Sunday, November 18, 2012

Silence is Not Golden
















No, I haven't fallen into a deep dark hole. I'm just becoming more aware of the power of words to hurt or heal, and right now I would like to participate more fully in the healing, but there are things that cannot be ignored. We have ignored them for far too long. There comes a time when silence is complicity and I cannot remain complicit. I will write again about my love of nature. It hasn't gone anywhere. I still walk with Buddy and step outside every chance I get. But, this morning, I have returned from a video search through the music of Bruce Cockburn, who speaks out and has for years against tyranny and injustice and all things that matter.

I was first introduced to his music probably twenty five years ago, and have had the great privilege of seeing him live in small venues three times. They are the true nights to remember.

I woke up this morning to a Cockburn song emailed to me by a longtime friend, which led me on this journey through Cockburn country. That is one journey well worth taking. He sent another song, which helped to lift me above all the ludicrous ways we are lied to and led into believing things that aren't true. One of these is the history of how we stole this country away from the native people. I know there are people who will say that that's just the way it's always been. And they would be right, but that doesn't make it Right, and why are we still saying that?

A few weeks ago, I sat down to watch a program on PBS about how the government literally took Indian children from their homes, as young as 5, and put them in government schools so that they would be stripped of their language and their culture, indoctrinated into the white man's system, forced to adhere to the white man's agenda, the same system, the same agenda into which we have all been indoctrinated. Watching and listening to those who were taken from their homes as they told their stories was heartbreaking. The juxtaposition between how they had lived and how they became forced to live, leading to what they experience to this day.... there are no words.

Bruce Cockburn has a few songs which deal with this issue of being stripped of your land, your homes, even your children. I've chosen this video, which is a live performance, with images that deliver the message as strongly as Bruce does with his song. It's a powerful combination, only the more powerful because it continues to this day all over the world. Palestinian children are being killed indiscriminately right now on the Gaza Strip, this very morning, and I cannot sit by in silence. I cannot go for a walk in the woods without first honoring their lives and their families...  Yes, a story old as time, but turning away in silence cannot continue.









For a look at events leading up to this current attack on Gaza: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qoMyV3jzjA

Thank You, RZ.




27 comments:

  1. That's a powerful video, and it is or should be humbling to realize that the "civilization" we've created is built on stolen land. But those who judge our nation's success by the things we've built don't tend to be humbled by much of anything. And I thought I had been following the story of Palestine, but the map images are stunning. How can people create a stable society when they are physically divided like that? Yet they are condemned for their failure, just as the native people of our own country were, and continue to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an issue that evokes such deep anger in me that I cannot speak at times, but speak I must when I can, and this is not a time for silence or jingoism.

      Thank you for responding so thoughtfully, Nancy.

      Delete
  2. Yes, sad. But; remember the rockets from Gaza were fired for many months first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your taking the time to read this post, but this did not begin a few months ago....

      Delete
  3. A fan of Cockburn as well. Israel like us is allowed to kill at will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BRAVO BRAVO ! ! !

    A you know I could go on for hours and hours on this subject.

    When we hear that "Israel has the right to defend themselves"
    This is code speak for
    - - Israel has the right to do what ever, where ever, when ever, and to who ever it wishes.- -
    Yes, we are complicit in Israel's war crimes. As long as The Zionist agenda controls our Congress through their donations. We are just as guilty as the Likud right wing of the Israeli's. Why is it that we never hear the news of Israeli Jews participating in protests against the Zionist treatment of Palestinians?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for responding, RZ. There is much we never hear unless we're willing. Many are not.

      I appreciate this very much.

      Delete
  5. Lots of injustice. Thank heavens for dogs and apple trees and hugs that keep me centered amidst all the negative news--and gift me with the strength to do my bit to combat it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, thank god for "dogs and apple trees and hugs." This is my "bit to combat it." Staying centered is starting to look a little different to me.... :)

      Delete
  6. Recently, Benjamin Netanyahu gamboled into town on his cloven hoofs and every elected leader we have paid obeisance to this thug. Disgusting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disgusting is a good word to start with. Thank you for responding, Cletis.

      Delete
  7. Teresa,..first I want to comment just a bit on your first couple of sentances. It is from your blog that I learned more clearly about the power of our words to heal or to hurt....I'm afraid I was doing more hurting than healing and have tried to do better...I also saw that show on pbs ...we think we know a little but really how little we know. For a long time now I have wondered why is one life worth more than another...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so grateful for your response and for your generous words about this blog. Your last sentence is a very important question and we must answer with, 'There is no difference and all are of infinite value.'

      I'm so glad you commented. Thank you.

      Delete
  8. It takes a lot of courage to take a stand for the Palestinians in this country (even when we know what's going on) and I admire you greatly for doing so Teresa. I've wanted to write a post on how they've been abused and mistreated and even massacred for awhile now but haven't had the courage. So, right on Teresa!

    Perhaps when Americans think of the Palestinians in terms of how our Indians were treated they will listen.
    Our words do influence others and they do make a difference. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rubye Jack. I felt absolutely led to write this on this morning. It feels good to speak out. It seemed like a good analogy to me, glad you agree. One never knows when a spark ignites something within and changes everything.

      Delete
  9. I wouldn't like anyone to come in and take my land.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Teresa -- Blogging allows us to voice injustices. Keep it up. Along this line is another good post out today wrote by June Calendar at this link:
    http://big7-0andgoingstrong.blogspot.com/ She too spells out the horrors around the world -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I post, I try to listen for the subject, sometimes I just sit down and start writing. This is what showed up today. And I'm very glad.

      Thanks for the link to June. I've read her blog before, but am glad for the reminder.

      Delete
  11. As long as there are sides and there are winners and losers nothing will change. Until we can cooperate and see that we are all connected nothing will change in the big picture. People will continue to draw lines in the sand and push them back and forth. We will either learn to live together, side by side--or basically nothing ever changes but lines, labels, liberty, and loss. Anger is a fiery fuel. Love. compassion, understanding and forgiveness are the only actual cure. Why is that so hard for us? And why does anger come so easily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rita, We seem to be perched on a precipice and anger is often the response. It's hard to be silent and not express it when so much is at stake. Anger carries a big responsibility and I hope we all learn how and when it's appropriate to express it.

      Delete
  12. One of the great advantages of the kind of blogging where you get to know a number of people quite well by reading their thoughts and views over a period of time is that you know when they recommend, a book, a singer, a painter or whatever, it is a recommendation you need to follow up. Which means that I am off to discover Bruce Cockburn now. Thanks Teresa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan, I hope you find him to be as intriguing as I. He's outspoken, yet soulful, and it's a powerful combo.

      Delete
  13. Tonight I was reading an essay by Wendell Berry and your post came to mind. I thought I'd share what he wrote that made me think of it.

    "You cannot lose your land and remain free; if you keep your land you cannot be enslaved."

    Thanks for this post Teresa. This is the best place on the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading Wendell in the evening... it doesn't get much finer than that.... Thanks so much for passing along that thought.

      Thank you, Bill. It's always good to hear from you.

      Delete