Saturday, June 6, 2015

Caught In a Downpour


As I was bringing my compost bucket to the garden this morning, I got caught in a downpour. Ducking into the shed (a very poor pun), I stood and listened as it passed through. I may have mentioned a time or two, all my outbuildings have tin roofs. The garden shed has the additional grace of slatted sides. I could listen, and watch. It was the most fun I've had in a while. It didn't last long, but while it did I was reminded of something I wanted to tell you.

A few weeks ago, I went to the cabin to do another walk-through to see how it fared through the winter. I do this fairly often and have spent some time there looking at possibilities other than its unintended use as a raccoon / porcupine hotel.  For a while a skunk lived under the porch but I believe it has moved on to other quarters.The raccoon and porcupines have also moved on now that summer is here.

Prior to this particular walk-through, I had, that morning, mentioned to myself how nice it would be to have a book of Carl Sandburg's poetry. I had no notion of which one, just one to add to my collection of poetry books. That afternoon I went to the cabin and did my usual, somewhat cursory looking around. Without knowing why, I felt drawn to a particular set of shelves in the corner. I had looked at these shelves before, but this time I looked closer and tucked into the corner of the highest shelf, against the wall and blending into the wood, was a book. I took it down and turned it around. It was a well-worn, 1922 edition of Carl Sandburg's, Chicago Poems.




38 comments:

  1. When old books call, they call in whispers. Happens in this old house too --a wordless memory of blue buckram or spine hanging on for dear life. There's a quiet life in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this comment, Geo. Thank you. :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Geo! In whispers. That's the way it is.

      Delete
    3. Hey, you ... good to see your name here ... :)

      Delete
  2. Perfect! It was waiting there for you, obviously. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Chicago Poems" are wonderful, and you found them right where they ought to have been: in one of the dusty corners of life that Sandburg was capable of describing so wonderfully.

    I think the quality of the poems ranges from just ok to perfect, but that's the way life is, and Sandburg wasn't afraid of it. He found the poetic in the ordinary and mundane as well as the extraordinary -- and we can all be grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You write so beautifully, Linda, even this comment sings! Thank you so much. :)

      Delete
  4. Serendipity! Love the photo of the worn and loved book. Also your description of being stranded temporarily in your slatted outbuilding with tin roofs playing their song as the rain drummed down. i like being unexpectedly caught in such types of situations.-- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is as if Chicago Poems was just waiting for you and the right time to show himself. How very lovely, Teresa. If not a first edition, it must be a very early one. Sometimes, downpours are the very best things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was such a wonderful surprise. First Edition would have been 1916. It has a name in vintage script, plus the price of 1.75, just inside the front cover.

      I do love a downpour ... :)

      Delete
  6. Warm chills, how cool was that. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's wonderful that you and the book have been brought together, to enjoy each others company for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like serendipity to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly a phenomenon outside the realm of ordinary life.

      Delete
  9. How wonderful! You have a lovely blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you visited my blog. Thanks for taking the time to comment! :)

      Delete
  10. As I recall, the universe has sent you something you needed, or craved, before. Somehow I imagine this sort of thing happening to you often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is happening with more frequency. I love how the universe seems to work. How manifesting fits in continues to intrigue me no end ... :)

      Delete
  11. I love when that kind of a thing happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun? It's a beautiful reminder of how wonderful the universe is, and our place in it. :)

      Delete
  12. Watched a family of racoons from a window in deepest Penetanguishine, Ontario last Summer. They did a kind of mock fight/dance. This was about 4.00 a.m when their scuffling woke me up. The ritual, which was what it was, lasted about 5 minutes. Then they left the yard in single file, largest to smallest....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fun way to wake up ... interesting dynamics at play throughout the natural world ... :)

      Delete
  13. Some sort of cosmic guidance leading you to treasures that will bring you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow how amazing was that Teresa! You definitely manifested it...I've had this happen to me. Even in bookshops, I've had a book I've been requesting literally fall at my feet. It certainly makes an impact upon me, as I bet it did upon you. I bet you spoke out loud in the cabin...bet you did! ;)

    Hugs Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful morning surprise, I so love hearing from you! This is not the first time we have talked about the manifesting of books, I believe you mentioned an actor who found one in unusual circumstances ...Anthony Hopkins?

      And, indeed, I did speak aloud in the cabin ... :))

      So love this comment ... Thank you, dear heart.

      Delete
  15. Whoa. Awesome manifestation. First-rate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, lookee here, long time no see ... good to hear from you ... Thanks! :)

      Delete