Wednesday, July 30, 2014

For My Fellow Searchers


Once in a while I find something on another blog that I cannot help but steal. Thus it is with this poem. It encapsulates so much of how I feel about my own life. Perhaps you will find yourself here, as well:

"Searchers"

Some people do not have to search -
they find their niche early in life and rest there,
seemingly contented and resigned.
They do not seem to ask much of life,
sometimes they do not seem to take it seriously.
At times I envy them, but usually I do not understand them -
seldom do they understand me.

I am one of the searchers.
There are, I believe, millions of us.
We are not unhappy, but neither are we really content.
We continue to explore life, hoping to uncover its ultimate secret.
We continue to explore ourselves, hoping to understand.

We like to walk along the beach – we are drawn by the ocean,
taken by its power, its unceasing motion,
its mystery and unspeakable beauty.
We like forests and mountains, deserts and hidden rivers,
and the lonely cities as well.

Our sadness is as much a part of our lives as is our laughter.
To share our sadness with the one we love is perhaps as great a joy as we can know -
unless it is to share our laughter.

We searchers are ambitious only for life itself,
for everything beautiful it can provide.
Most of all we want to love and be loved.
We want to live in a relationship that will not impede
our wandering, nor prevent our search, nor lock us in prison walls.

We do not want to prove ourselves to another or compete for love.
We are wanderers, dreamers and lovers,
lonely souls who dare ask of life everything good and beautiful.

~ James Kavanaugh



I found this wonderful poem here: http://coyoteprime-runningcauseicantfly.blogspot.com/

 

14 comments:

  1. So wonderful- thanks for sharing! It makes me think....

    JetteMajken

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel I am a searcher, this poem encapsulates my feelings much of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is such an eternity poem, isn't it? It could have been written at the beginning of time as easily as it could have been written just now. Ah, yes; I am one of the searchers of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a searcher! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think Mr. Kavanaugh is a soul mate of mine. He feels out his life similar to my way. I am going to copy this poem into my poem collection. Thanks for publishing it! -- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wife taught me to put things away right, which frees up a lot of time I used to spend searching for stuff. I use this time to search for things I didn't lose from carelessness, which probably means she has civilized me and my search has shifted from the mundane and metaphorical to the mysterious and enigmatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Searching's OK as long as you also take the time to enjoy, appreciate and understand. And, as some eastern religions have discovered, you can find a lot by just sitting still.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that really spoke to me. :)
    Hope you are enjoying the delightful weather.
    Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was a time in my life when I was almost a frantic searcher. Today, I'm content -- but not inert or incurious. It seems to me there must be a third way between the two options vaguely implied here (at least, to my reading), and it will make for some nice pondering in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your comments. I am grateful for each one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My never ending curiosity and thirst for nature knowledge keeps me searching. I can't think of a better life style. I think we might all search for something a little different from another. It is the act of searching that seems to be the common bond for many.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this, I'm not unhappy neither am I content. The perfect point of tension. I am always so glad to recognize a fellow traveler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. I am so grateful for your comment.

      Delete